Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I sat. #SOL

Today, I sat. I sat for three hours. Teachers aren’t supposed to sit, but yet I did.

I sat and watched my students struggle through our first day of state testing.

I sat and watched them rub their eyes because of facing a computer screen for three hours.

I sat and watched them put their heads down for a couple of minutes to give themselves a
break because we can’t let them take one. I mean, sixth graders will totally tell each other
the answers.

I sat and watched my students do chair push ups and squeeze their arms and hands so
they would stay focused.

I sat and watched my student who doesn’t get enough to eat try to stay awake and
focused on his test.

I sat and watched my students cry because they couldn’t figure out the answers.

I sat and watched.

I sat.

I sat and prayed.

I sat and prayed for the people who make my students and all students around our
country sit through these tests instead of learning.

I prayed for my students to know that they are more than a test score.

I sat and prayed that they know how proud I am of them each and every day.

I sat and prayed that they give their best effort no matter how tired they are.

I sat and prayed for my student to find someone next year who will help him get the
food and care he needs.

I sat and prayed for my students’ families because I don’t know everything that goes
on in their lives.

I sat and prayed for me to be the best teacher I can be for my students for our last
twenty-one days together.

I sat and prayed for my students and me to be kind and respectful to each other.

I sat and prayed.

I sat.

I sat and smiled.

6 comments:

  1. All that sitting brought a lot of good thinking. Somehow we have to find peace with testing and It think you worked through some of it. I like how each thought started with I sat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like those students have a really special teacher. The really good teachers can't stand the sitting, and your frustration with it came through loud and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't monitoring your students while they test the worst? You did some nice philosophizing though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I feel your pain. I hate sitting and watching my students struggle through all those state tests! Your thoughts show great insight. Thanks for sharing! :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s so hard to watch. We spend the rest of our time with them in action and discussion and then these painful days.

    ReplyDelete