Monday, April 9, 2018

Why don't we use it?

Today as I was washing dishes, I was transported back in time to when I was a little girl eating Easter dinner at my grandmother's with my family. I got to set the table with the fancy dishes from the China hutch. I was so excited! I got the key from the top of the hutch and carefully opened it carefully. Then I gently pulled out the glasses to set the table. We only used those glasses for special events. For the rest of the year, I would sit in front of the hutch and dream of having it my own home when I was a grown up. As I washed the dishes tonight, I couldn't stop thinking about why those dishes were only for special events.

When my grandmother died, I got the hutch and part of the glassware that was in it. I also got China from my great aunt. I didn't even remember those dishes but they sure are pretty. When I moved back to Wyoming, I carefully arranged all of them in the hutch on the doilies my grandmother had used. I polished the silver and made sure it was organized too. Then, it sat. Just like it had when my grandmother and her sister were alive. Until one day when I made dinner for my new boyfriend. I pulled out platters and plates, glasses and serving bowls. I used them and then carefully washed them before placing them oh so gently back in the China hutch. I did that several times. Then, my boyfriend asked why we were using them only for fancy dinners and using Walmart dishes the rest of the time. I didn't have a good answer, so we started using them every day.

As I washed dishes, I began to think about that. Whey do we use the good things in life only for fancy or special events? Why do we use the nicer things when we want to impress other people? I don't have answers for either question.

I no longer want to hold off using the best for just anyone. I want to use the best for every day. I don't want to worry about impressing others; I want to impress myself. I want to see the beauty around me and use it to make other people smile just because. I don't want to hide my pretty dress in a closet because it's too fancy for work; I want to wear it to look good! I want to show others, especially my students, that it is okay to enjoy life by not hiding away what is most special.

No comments:

Post a Comment