Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Decisions #SOL

I have missed SOL for the last bit. I missed last Tuesday because of internet issues at the beach, but I am back at it today.

I have always been awful at making decisions. I am so bad that I usually flip a coin to decide where to eat if we go out and I am forced to decide. I am so bad that I usually have a pile of 3-4 outfits on the bed and dresser every morning because I don't know what I want to wear. I am so bad that going shopping takes hours just to find a white blouse. I remember once around Easter when I was maybe 12 and my mom took me to the store to buy something with my babysitting money. I was so excited! My mom proceeded to get our groceries and left me to make my decision. She checked on me several times and I still hadn't decided which stuffed bear I wanted. I just couldn't choose between the blue one and the pink one because I didn't want to leave the other one all alone. I ended up closing my eyes and picking a hand of my mom's in which she was touching one of the bears; I got the blue one and was happy to take it home with me but I cried that I couldn't take the other one.

Why do I bring this up today? Well, I have to make a couple of decisions this week. Both are professionally related and impact not only me, but also my co-workers and my husband. One decision came to me yesterday regarding Wyoming Writing Project and a future endeavor with our directors and me in my school district. This one decision was a super easy and ecstatic YES! The other decision is much more difficult. A job has opened up that I would love to take and actually had discussed applying for in two or three years when I thought it would open. However, due to staff changes, it is open now. I would love to apply and accept it because it is something I enjoy, but I don't know if it is time to step out of the classroom yet. I don't know if I can leave students and parents whom I know I will be working with next fall. I don't know if I can leave my teammate. I don't know if I have the stamina for this other position even though I dipped my toes in the job a bit this year. Before spring break, I was all ready to say yes and apply. When I got home, I didn't want to leave the classroom. Yesterday, I wanted to apply. This morning, a student begged me to stay in the classroom so he could come see me next year after he starts in junior high. This afternoon, I felt like I was ready to apply again. I just am on the fence. The job closes next Tuesday, so I will be spending the next several days praying and making lists to weigh out the pros and cons of each choice. Tonight, though, I am going to do yoga and drink some wine.

5 comments:

  1. Wendy, best wishes to you in your decision making. Your strategies of yoga and wine are awesome! I'll pray for you and look forward to reading of your decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers! I will know by our next SOL!

      Delete
  2. Leaving the place that we call home that gives us our reflective nature is rough to do. Make the decision for you! Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to let you know that I decided to stay in the classroom. I am not ready to leave students yet.

    ReplyDelete